“Cheesy” Mexican Pierogies, by The Hungry Birdie
- 20-30 eggless dumpling wrappers
- 3-4 yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 tbsp Earth Balance vegan butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup vegan cheese sauce
- Vegetable oil for frying, amounts may vary
Begin by boiling the potatoes in a large pot of salted water. Once fork tender, drain and mash, adding in the Earth Balance, salt and pepper. Meanwhile, saute the onions in 1 tbsp of veg oil over medium heat until soft and golden brown, about 20 minutes. Stir onions and 1/2 cup of the cheese sauce (reserving 1/4 cup for later) into the mashed potatoes and set aside.
While the potatoes are boiling and the onions are cooking, simply combine all of the salsa ingredients and refrigerate until time to eat.
Working in batches of 4-6, carefully add about 1/2 tsp of the cheesy potato mixture to the centre of each dumpling wrapper. Top with a dollop of the reserved cheese sauce and fold into half moons, sealing edges with a fork. The pierogies can be fried immediately, but I prefer to steam them first in order to soften them up. Steam for no longer than one minute per batch. In a large pan, heat about 1 tbsp of oil over medium and fry pierogies for about 3 minutes per side, until crispy and golden brown. Repeat until all of the pierogies have been cooked. Keep warm in a 200 degree oven until it’s time to eat.
To serve, top the hot pierogies with salsa and garnish with a slice of lime. Sit back, relax and enjoy with a cold beer!
- davesloboda likes this
- lombard-st likes this
- strawberriesaredangerous reblogged this from nekomarie
- smoon418 likes this
- misssukri reblogged this from nekomarie
- juarez55 likes this
- tegan-leblanc likes this
- kimanitheheartist likes this
- youspeakandmaketimestandstill likes this
- 0utofittt likes this
- nekomarie reblogged this from veganandtasty
- grass-stain reblogged this from veganandtasty and added:
- veganandtasty posted this